BEYOND THE MILL Designs | Offering Interior Design - Kitchen & Bath Design - Custom Furniture Design - Home Decor
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY - CALL FOR ADDRESS
Welcome to Beyond The Mill Studio Design, formerly Olde Mill Furniture, where for more than 26 years, we have been recognized as the place to go for those seeking quality home furnishings. Now focusing solely on INTERIOR DESIGN and CUSTOM FURNITURE - we now have a 2,000 sq. ft. showroom in Clifton, VA to showcase our endless customization possibilities. Call us for more details!
At Beyond The Mill, you will find an eclectic mix of unique high- end home furnishings and stylish accent pieces all displayed in a relaxed, easy to shop atmosphere. In this world of sameness, of trendy and disposable, you will experience a different kind of place all together when you work with us at Beyond The Mill.
Call us to schedule an appointment and Customize the Home of Your Dreams! You won’t be disappointed!
** Please note, we are often out of the studio on design appointments. Leave us a message or send us an email and we will get back to you as soon as possible. **
While I was looking at a complete rainbow the other day (see below photo), I was thinking how nice it is to see a completed space. Here are a few panoramic views of recent spaces we’ve enjoyed working on!
This week's Tuesday Trend is COLORFUL CUES - Inspired by the Sherwin-Williams 2019 Market Colors. We have named it 'Colorful Cues' due to the appropriate definition of the word 'cue' -- from a psychological standpoint, cue can be defined as "a piece of information or circumstance that aids the memory in retrieving details not recalled spontaneously" and "a feature of something perceived that is used in the brain's interpretation of the perception". Interior design can often be psychological in that the colors, patterns and designs around us can elicit memories, feelings and inspiration; which is why it is so important to create a space appropriately to it's audience + surroundings. We are very fond of Sherwin Williams paint and products, as well as their process for choosing color. This post is inspired by their 2019 Market Colors -- featuring colors used in school settings, hospitality, hospitals/doctors offices, etc. Below are a few of our favorites that are featured on their site.
COMMERCIAL COLOR COLLECTION
- The Sweet Retreat - These are lighter colors that provide an airy feeling. These colors elicit a home based feeling to make the office comforting and as Sherwin Williams puts it, "Make work feel like play."
- Power Play - These are modern + bold colors - think Google. These colors add creative energy and an artistic vibe in the office.
HOSPITALITY COLOR COLLECTION
- Retro Revival - Miami here we come! Thing playful retro pastels -- these are eye catching colors that are a fresh look onto a retro motel.
- Off The Grid - Vacationing in the depths of the forest or tucked away on a beautiful lake, these colors are created to reflect earthy elements and natural feelings.
HEALTHCARE COLOR COLLECTION
- Upbeat Energy + Connected Calm - We have combined these two into one because they are the immediate opposites of one another, but are equally important depending on their settings. Upbeat Energy has brighter stimulating colors to elicit energy and motivation. These are great for doctors offices or pediatricians to create an uplifting & positive atmosphere. These colors can help with fear and stress. On the other hand, Connected Calm colors like, pastels and lighter hues are great for birthing centers, hospitals and testing centers where calmness and serenity is promoted. These colors create familiarity and relaxation.
EDUCATION COLOR COLLECTION
- Nurtured Nature - These are lighter, more natural colors. These colors provide a neutral & organic aesthetic. They promote a soothing atmosphere for concentration and focus. These colors are great for younger child facilities and spaces.
- Bright Futures - Great for older ages! These colors promote visual interest and are meant to add energy to a school or space.
Specific spaces are not limited to these ideas - they are mere recommendations. Yet, have been proven to be the appropriate 'Colorful Cues'. Need help finding your colorful cues? Contact us today - 703-729-2625.
Photo Credit - Sherwin Williams
[08/28/18] A new twist on choosing colors — how fun!!
Having fun dreaming of fun farmhouse spaces for anew project!! #interiordesign #beyondthemilldesign #farmhouse #farmhousestyle #
Enjoy today!! 😉 #weekendgetaway #relax #unwinding #newbeginnings #dreamy
What a great experience on so many levels — thanks D & K — you are the BEST, I miss you already. Some design projects are just meant to be! 😉 @ Lansdowne, Virginia
What does your bathroom feel & smell like? Wet towels, or yummy soaps and candles? I hope the latter!! 🙂
Looking forward to snuggling this fall in one of these! Want to join me ??? Call us today and we can ship direct to you! 703-729-2625
This week's Tuesday Trend is Stepped Up Stairs. So long are the boring wood stairs without any character and welcome stairs designed with new paint, wallpaper, iron, patterned rugs and more! This trend has become popular in the interior design world due to it's simple, yet effective design nature. There are styles for every taste from traditional to modern and all that is in between. Here are a few top trends to 'step up' your stairs.
- Runner Style Rugs - Adding a runner style carpet or rug to stairs adds both comfort and design. Coordinating colors and patterns with the rest of the space can tie a design together and add an extra element. This is also functional, as it can take cold steps and add comfort and warmth.
- Wallpapered Fascia Boards - We love wallpaper! You don't always have to add it to your walls though. Adding wallpaper to the fascia boards (or the front part of a step) creates character in a space. This updates outdated steps and is an art form in a home. Although, it is important to use a professional to appropriately install, as the steps must be primed and installed properly to avoid further damage. Due to high traffic areas, you want this to remain durable, while decorative. It is also important for the right pattern and design to be placed in each step. When done correctly, this addition is sure to be a favorite in the home.
- Painted Steps & Banisters - Update, update, update! Painting your stairs and banisters is a great way to update on a budget. One of our favorite combinations right now is black (or charcoal gray) and white. This combination added, in the appropriately designed home, adds dimension and sophistication. Create a classic look with this idea.
- Iron & Metals - This isn't just for the outdoors. Mix elements on your stairs by adding iron spindles to wood steps and railings. With the many options, this element can create a more modern look or more rustic look depending on what the design direction is. Hand forged iron is artwork in itself. We love working with hand made craftsmen who create these pieces.
These are come of our favorite stair design ideas, but you are limited to these! The beauty of design is the ability to mix and match these ideas as well. Paint the stairs and add wallpaper or add iron spindles with a new runner. The options are endless, but it is hard to know where to begin. Contact us a Beyond The Mill for assistance -- we work with skilled craftsmen, quality companies and trained installation professionals to help you get the look you desire. www.beyondthemilldesign.com
Wonderful new find out in Markham, Va. Chateau O’Brien Winery 🍷Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon!! @ Markham, Virginia
Freshening up a room can be as simple as adding new lamps, changing your wall color or replacing artwork. Any change is a good change!!
Using textures for ceilings and walls can truly enhance the feeling of your home or office space. Whether it’s wood paneling, stone/tiled walls, coffered ceilings or wall paper, curating a space of unique textures always brings warmth and quality. Give us a call today to discuss your next interior project, we are happy to help and share our vision!! #qualitymatters #homeimprovements #beyondthemilldesign #interiordesigner
Why not customize down to the very last detail while remodeling a log home?! This is one of my all-time favorite projects we worked on here in western Loudoun. :-) So cool!!
This Tuesday's Trend is DESIGNER DORM ROOMS. As Summer days begin to dwindle and college days near, the planning for dorm room designs must begin. While loved ones are away we want to still feel at home and comfortable. This space is meant to reflect individuality and the first years of independence. College days are supposed to be the best days of a young person's life -- so why not do it in style + functionality? Here are some great trends that are just that.
- Functional Mirror - So long are the days of the plan mirror on the back of the door. Choose a functional floor mirror that doubles as a towel or blanket rack or a jewelry holder.
- Peel 'N Stick Wallpaper - Add a flare to drab walls with a peel and stick wallpaper that can be removed at the end of the year. Our favorite is NuWallpaper, they have great designs that are perfect for any age.
- Minimalist Seating - As you may already know, dorms are not a luxury suite, so smaller seating is best. Try smaller cozy chairs or even poufs or oversized pillows as a decorative, yet functional seating.
- Updated Desk Lamps - Desk lamps don't have to be boring. You can still add the needed lighting with a pop of color, unique design and right size.
- Artificial Plants - Bring life to a dorm room with artificial plants -- they bring the outdoors in and require no maintenance. Choose colorful pots for an extra pop.
- Picture Frames - Adding photos of loved ones to your dorm brings comfort in these first years away.
- Comfy Rugs - Dorms can have hard, cold floors. Pop in a plush polyester rug that is both for comfort and easy to clean. This style can also be budget friendly.
- Shelving - Since space can be limited, utilizing wall space is essential. Use shelving to store books, supplies and decor. Reduce clutter by keeping things stored and off surfaces
This time is very exciting, but it is important to be prepared. Need guidance? Contact us at Beyond The Mill and let us help you create the dorm of your dreams - 703-729-2625 | www.beyondthemilldesign.com
https://s.ripl.com/wxc5j3 #mom via ripl.com
This week was a big week for carpet runner installations @ BEYOND THE MILL DESIGN. Sometimes we make the most dramatic impact of a space with simple changes. Love how all of these turned out. #carpetrunners # noshoeson #beyondthemilldesign 😊
Everyday it’s something new @ BEYONDTHEMIILLDESIGN. Today we are having a blast designing a pool-side cabana for a client in Florida. The creative energy is flowing around here!
Pool table arrives tomorrow, Woo-Hoo!! This adult playroom/basement is coming together nicely!! #beyondthemilldesign #projectbasement #lansdownelove
This week's Tuesday Trend is LET'S GO GREEN. Whether you have a green thumb or not, greenery added to a design is on trend. Adding greenery, artificial or real, adds warmth and brings the outdoors in. Watch tv, read a magazine article, skim the internet -- you will find succulents, air plants and so much more. But what to do with these green pieces you ask? These are the top most trend forward ways to use greenery.
- BOXWOOD WREATH - Add a boxwood wreath to a front door to make it pop and add attention to your front porch. The simplicity of a boxwood wreath is perfect for any design, from traditional to modern. You can also add a boxwood wreath to a decorative window, mirror or mantle.
- SUCCULENTS + AIR PLANTS - These two plants are perfect for just about anyone. They are easy to keep alive and require little maintenance - especially if you buy artificial ;) . Air plants are exactly what they sound like, you soak the plant once a week and it survives on the surface or rocks/stones or moss. Succulents and air plants are great in a detailed ceramic pot or industrial concrete piece. Make them a piece of art in your home by choosing your favorite color, pattern or detail.
- VASES + CANDLES - Add greenery to vases and candle holders to take a simple centerpiece to the next level. Add moss to lantern or vase as well if you prefer to not have to maintain greenery.
- POTTED PLANTS - Have a green thumb? Create an eclectic look with multiple potted plants in a space. Choose different plants from cacti, succulents, air plants and more. Add each plant to a different pot. Mix patterns, colors and details for an extra design element.
Adding greenery to your home is a current trend and can't go out of style. Bring the outdoors in with this design element. Need help deciding just how to bring this to life? Contact us for help in adding pieces to your home - Let's Go Green | www.beyondthemilldesign.com
Even after 25 years, I still love getting in the truck and driving around Amish country. Picking up custom designed pieces and finding new manufacturers along the way never gets old for me. Happy Friday !!
This week's Tuesday Trend is inspired by the Sherwin Williams Colormix Forecast for 2019. We will call it the COLORS of 2019. Choosing the correct paint colors, fabric colors, artwork colors and much more is a key part of interior design. Colors can enhance specific feelings and emotions in a space. Specific colors can make a space feel different - for example darker colors in a tight space can make it feel even smaller and a lighter color can often refresh a space. Certain colors, like light blues, can elicit tranquility; while colors, like deep turquoise can elicit vibrancy and energy. We love the break down of colors by Sherwin Williams for 2019 -- they created categories based on the groupings of colors as if they were people. They are broken down to the shapeshifter, wanderer, aficionado, enthusiast, naturalist and the raconteur. We love this breakdown because it is interesting to see which color scheme is preferred and what that says about you. Here is a short breakdown of each of the six categories (for the full breakdown visit https://www.swcolorforecast.com)
- The Shapeshifter - Deep, dark blues. Characterized by a futuristic style, ahead of it's time.
- The Wanderer - Warm Brown Hues. Characterized by earthy colors, with a warmer palettes & a southern + bohemian feel.
- The Aficionado - Rich colors. Characterized by traditional hues + sophisticated style. Think of tweed, leather bound books and a tailored feel.
- The Enthusiast - Eclectic hues. Characterized by passion, energy and vivid design. Love the name from Sherwin Williams -- COZY CHAOS
- The Naturalist - Botanical Colors. Characterized by natural, botanical feel, and lush tones. Think wandering through a rainforest.
- The Raconteur - Global Colors. Characterized by travel + global artistry. Think exotic.
What’s YOUR colormix??
With such bold colors like some of those listed above, it can be hard to find the right color for you or your particular space. At Beyond The Mill Design we specialize in color consultations and picking just the right hues + tones for you. Contact us today with your color needs - 703-729-2625.
It’s SO HOT TODAY, I’m obsessed with anything blue to cool things down!!
Through the eyes of a child the world is a really big place! While creating that “kid space” use ART to spark imagination, develop active minds and create endless fantasy. #creativeandfun #kidsrooms #paragonart #interiordesign
BEDDING INSPIRATION : 1) What does your bedroom look like? 2) When was the last time you replaced your linens? Or your mattress? 3) How does it feel when you wake up each day? These are some FRESH NEW LOOKS in bedding ... Is it time for you to freshen up your bedroom? We are here to help, with hundreds of styles and textures to choose from, give us a call today — brighten & refresh your world! Beyond The Mill Design —
This week's Tuesday Trend is MADE IN THE USA. The true meaning in in the name - all or virtually all things made right here in the USA as regulated by the Federal Trade Commission. This is a popular trend due to the quality and craftsmanship of USA made products. Now, there is nothing wrong with an imported piece, they can truly be beautiful, but from our experience a solid piece made here in the US can withstand the test of time. Whether handmade or partially machine made, these pieces are made with precision, care and authenticity. These manufacturers stand behind their product and believe in creating only the best for companies and clients. This is a growing trend, as people are wanting to buy pieces that last, pieces that can be passed down through generations. American made pieces are often made of solid wood, hand crafted parts and durable finishes. The ability to source these quality, American made products is what makes Beyond The Mill so unique. Our relationships with our skilled craftsmen gives us the opportunities to customize the most beautiful pieces of the utmost quality. Love Made in the USA? Contact us today - 703-729-2625 - beyondthemilldesign.com
Once an idea, now a reality. . . Pretty cool seeing our designs come to life, can hardly wait for the remaining pieces to arrive!! 🙂
This week's Tuesday Trend is WONDROUS WINDOWS. Window treatments are the finishing touches of a designed space and as designers we often recommend them. They are essentially, "The elements which enhance the aesthetics of the window and the room". The true beauty of our window treatments is the ability to customize our pieces - tailored specifically for a space, window and home. This is an ongoing trend, but some people just envision simple panels when discuss window treatments, but those aren't the only option. There are many different styles and it is important to recognize these, as many might be more open to the idea of treatments if they knew their options (and there are many).
Some window treatments include:
- HARD TREATMENTS - Being shutters (polyresin or wood)
- WINDOW BLINDS or SILHOUETTES - These can be wood, faux wood, fabric, woven and more!
- SOFT WINDOW TREATMENTS - These include drapery; such as panels, roman shades, sheers, swags and more. And in this area, there are many different types of each, containing different hardware options and styles. For example, a roman shade is not just that. A roman shade can be a plain roman, hobbled roman, rear tucked roman, pleated roman, inverted balloon roman and so much more.
- TREATMENTS AROUND THE WINDOW - These are pieces that can frame around the window frame. Including, cornices, valances or a decorative molding. Cornices and molding are usually harder in nature and have a more solid look, where a valance in a softer fabric look.
With so much information it is good to know you have options, but it is also hard to know what is the best for your space. We are here to help, contact us today to discuss window treatment options for your home. There is always an option for everyone. To view more of our custom window treatments and ideas visit our website - www.beyondthemilldesign.com or call 703-729-2625
|Tuesday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Wednesday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Thursday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Friday||10:00 - 17:00|