BEYOND THE MILL Designs | Offering Interior Design - Kitchen & Bath Design - Custom Furniture Design - Home Decor
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY - CALL FOR ADDRESS
Welcome to Beyond The Mill Studio Design, formerly Olde Mill Furniture, where for more than 26 years, we have been recognized as the place to go for those seeking quality home furnishings. Now focusing solely on INTERIOR DESIGN and CUSTOM FURNITURE - we now have a 2,000 sq. ft. showroom in Clifton, VA to showcase our endless customization possibilities. Call us for more details!
At Beyond The Mill, you will find an eclectic mix of unique high- end home furnishings and stylish accent pieces all displayed in a relaxed, easy to shop atmosphere. In this world of sameness, of trendy and disposable, you will experience a different kind of place all together when you work with us at Beyond The Mill.
Call us to schedule an appointment and Customize the Home of Your Dreams! You won’t be disappointed!
** Please note, we are often out of the studio on design appointments. Leave us a message or send us an email and we will get back to you as soon as possible. **
Very rarely do we have the opportunity to live & love what we do. Life has many blessings, it’s important to take time to appreciate all of them!
Just like any other field or occupation, in Interior Design it is important to stay educated, up to date and on trend. Though there are some classics that will remain true, there are always newly emerging ideas and designs. One of the largest furniture markets in Highpoint, North Carolina is the mecca of furniture expertise, design and products. In both the Fall & Spring, furniture retailers, designers, creators and much more gather together for this week long market, where the forces of ideas and products combine. We love attending these markets to update our design knowledge and better serve our clients, all while building our design network and building lasting relationships with furniture designers and companies. After a market we like to reflect on what we gained from the experience. For this Tuesday Trend, we would like to share with you some of the trends of the 2018 Fall Highpoint Market.
MIXED MATERIALS - A great trend this market was mixed materials. From mixing wood elements with metal to glass with resin, mixing these materials is creating timeless designs all over. One of the greatest outcomes of these mixtures is the ability to use these pieces for multiple design styles. By mixing materials you can add multiple design elements to a space, which is very on trend.
WONDROUS WHITE - The color ‘white’ made quite the appearance. Whether on a chair, case piece of table, with color white was seen all around. One might think white can be such a plain color, but when mixed with different textures, these pieces become unique and statements.
PERFORMANCE FABRICS - Once just seen as ‘industrial’, performance fabrics made an appearance in more than just a few places. Many furniture companies and brands are adding performance fabric lines to their fabric choices due to their durability & longevity. No longer are the days of boring performance fabrics - there are now beautiful colors, elaborate patterns & prints and different materials like vinyls. These performance fabrics are great on sofas, chairs, bedding and so much more. As designers, we love the emergence of on trend performance fabric options - and we love the ability to offer quality to our clients.
RICH CAMEL & CARAMEL LEATHERS - Seen over and over were rich brown leather pieces - including chairs and sofas. Becoming such a widespread trend for any space, these strong & bold pieces were often thought of as masculine. These pieces are now used with all different designs and are a great trend of the 2018 Fall Market.
MINIMALISTIC STYLES - Sometimes simple can be best. Minimalistic design was a trend found all over the market. Clean lines, simple designs and a focus on each piece rather than over embellishing. Though mostly seen from a modern design standpoint, there are still many minimalist designs that are transitional & traditional.
These trends found are not the only influential finds, but these are some of our favorites. We enjoy remaining educated and creating designs that are timeless, yet still on trend. Can't wait for the next Market!
PHOTO CREDIT - Revolution Fabrics, Currey & Co., Century Furniture, Alden Parkes, Bernhardt Furniture.
As much as I love all the big, soft, comfy-cozy furniture these days, I certainly can feel it when I’m sitting in a chair working at the desk all day. This is good info. — sit up and square off!! 😉
npr.org Chair design shifted dramatically about a hundred years ago, and it hasn't been good for our backs. Our daily lives are filled with chairs that make our posture worse. Luckily, we've got hacks.
PLEASE NOTE: October 13th & 14th RELOCATION SALE CANCELED!
DESIGN STUDIO RELOCATION SALE - Join us on October 13th & 14th for a studio sale that you won't want to miss!
Very excited for the owners of “The Mill” in Ashburn. Look how cute this new decor shop is, can’t wait to visit — such a fun place to have a store! 😉 Best of luck to all!!
theburn.com The mill dates back to the early 1900s.
Love this cabinet!!
“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says I’m possible!” Audrey Hepburn
Just because it’s grey and raining outside doesn’t mean fall isn’t lingering in the air 🍁
Blending spaces using texture & color is essential when creating a balanced flow throughout the home. Excited to see this Master Suite finally get to shine on it’s own! #beautifulinteriors #beyondthemilldesign #sleepinstyle #dreambedroom #virginiainteriors #interiordetails #designersdreamclient
Looking forward to seeing these beauties come to life with a little distressing and customized finishes. Stay tuned ... 😉
Loving the new “Sophisticated Slumber Bedding” by CuratedKravet !!
While I was looking at a complete rainbow the other day (see below photo), I was thinking how nice it is to see a completed space. Here are a few panoramic views of recent spaces we’ve enjoyed working on!
This week's Tuesday Trend is COLORFUL CUES - Inspired by the Sherwin-Williams 2019 Market Colors. We have named it 'Colorful Cues' due to the appropriate definition of the word 'cue' -- from a psychological standpoint, cue can be defined as "a piece of information or circumstance that aids the memory in retrieving details not recalled spontaneously" and "a feature of something perceived that is used in the brain's interpretation of the perception". Interior design can often be psychological in that the colors, patterns and designs around us can elicit memories, feelings and inspiration; which is why it is so important to create a space appropriately to it's audience + surroundings. We are very fond of Sherwin Williams paint and products, as well as their process for choosing color. This post is inspired by their 2019 Market Colors -- featuring colors used in school settings, hospitality, hospitals/doctors offices, etc. Below are a few of our favorites that are featured on their site.
COMMERCIAL COLOR COLLECTION
- The Sweet Retreat - These are lighter colors that provide an airy feeling. These colors elicit a home based feeling to make the office comforting and as Sherwin Williams puts it, "Make work feel like play."
- Power Play - These are modern + bold colors - think Google. These colors add creative energy and an artistic vibe in the office.
HOSPITALITY COLOR COLLECTION
- Retro Revival - Miami here we come! Thing playful retro pastels -- these are eye catching colors that are a fresh look onto a retro motel.
- Off The Grid - Vacationing in the depths of the forest or tucked away on a beautiful lake, these colors are created to reflect earthy elements and natural feelings.
HEALTHCARE COLOR COLLECTION
- Upbeat Energy + Connected Calm - We have combined these two into one because they are the immediate opposites of one another, but are equally important depending on their settings. Upbeat Energy has brighter stimulating colors to elicit energy and motivation. These are great for doctors offices or pediatricians to create an uplifting & positive atmosphere. These colors can help with fear and stress. On the other hand, Connected Calm colors like, pastels and lighter hues are great for birthing centers, hospitals and testing centers where calmness and serenity is promoted. These colors create familiarity and relaxation.
EDUCATION COLOR COLLECTION
- Nurtured Nature - These are lighter, more natural colors. These colors provide a neutral & organic aesthetic. They promote a soothing atmosphere for concentration and focus. These colors are great for younger child facilities and spaces.
- Bright Futures - Great for older ages! These colors promote visual interest and are meant to add energy to a school or space.
Specific spaces are not limited to these ideas - they are mere recommendations. Yet, have been proven to be the appropriate 'Colorful Cues'. Need help finding your colorful cues? Contact us today - 703-729-2625.
Photo Credit - Sherwin Williams
[08/28/18] A new twist on choosing colors — how fun!!
Having fun dreaming of fun farmhouse spaces for anew project!! #interiordesign #beyondthemilldesign #farmhouse #farmhousestyle #
Enjoy today!! 😉 #weekendgetaway #relax #unwinding #newbeginnings #dreamy
Beyond The Mill Design's cover photo
What a great experience on so many levels — thanks D & K — you are the BEST, I miss you already. Some design projects are just meant to be! 😉 @ Lansdowne, Virginia
What does your bathroom feel & smell like? Wet towels, or yummy soaps and candles? I hope the latter!! 🙂
Looking forward to snuggling this fall in one of these! Want to join me ??? Call us today and we can ship direct to you! 703-729-2625
This week's Tuesday Trend is Stepped Up Stairs. So long are the boring wood stairs without any character and welcome stairs designed with new paint, wallpaper, iron, patterned rugs and more! This trend has become popular in the interior design world due to it's simple, yet effective design nature. There are styles for every taste from traditional to modern and all that is in between. Here are a few top trends to 'step up' your stairs.
- Runner Style Rugs - Adding a runner style carpet or rug to stairs adds both comfort and design. Coordinating colors and patterns with the rest of the space can tie a design together and add an extra element. This is also functional, as it can take cold steps and add comfort and warmth.
- Wallpapered Fascia Boards - We love wallpaper! You don't always have to add it to your walls though. Adding wallpaper to the fascia boards (or the front part of a step) creates character in a space. This updates outdated steps and is an art form in a home. Although, it is important to use a professional to appropriately install, as the steps must be primed and installed properly to avoid further damage. Due to high traffic areas, you want this to remain durable, while decorative. It is also important for the right pattern and design to be placed in each step. When done correctly, this addition is sure to be a favorite in the home.
- Painted Steps & Banisters - Update, update, update! Painting your stairs and banisters is a great way to update on a budget. One of our favorite combinations right now is black (or charcoal gray) and white. This combination added, in the appropriately designed home, adds dimension and sophistication. Create a classic look with this idea.
- Iron & Metals - This isn't just for the outdoors. Mix elements on your stairs by adding iron spindles to wood steps and railings. With the many options, this element can create a more modern look or more rustic look depending on what the design direction is. Hand forged iron is artwork in itself. We love working with hand made craftsmen who create these pieces.
These are come of our favorite stair design ideas, but you are limited to these! The beauty of design is the ability to mix and match these ideas as well. Paint the stairs and add wallpaper or add iron spindles with a new runner. The options are endless, but it is hard to know where to begin. Contact us a Beyond The Mill for assistance -- we work with skilled craftsmen, quality companies and trained installation professionals to help you get the look you desire. www.beyondthemilldesign.com
Wonderful new find out in Markham, Va. Chateau O’Brien Winery 🍷Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon!! @ Markham, Virginia
Freshening up a room can be as simple as adding new lamps, changing your wall color or replacing artwork. Any change is a good change!!
Using textures for ceilings and walls can truly enhance the feeling of your home or office space. Whether it’s wood paneling, stone/tiled walls, coffered ceilings or wall paper, curating a space of unique textures always brings warmth and quality. Give us a call today to discuss your next interior project, we are happy to help and share our vision!! #qualitymatters #homeimprovements #beyondthemilldesign #interiordesigner
Why not customize down to the very last detail while remodeling a log home?! This is one of my all-time favorite projects we worked on here in western Loudoun. :-) So cool!!
This Tuesday's Trend is DESIGNER DORM ROOMS. As Summer days begin to dwindle and college days near, the planning for dorm room designs must begin. While loved ones are away we want to still feel at home and comfortable. This space is meant to reflect individuality and the first years of independence. College days are supposed to be the best days of a young person's life -- so why not do it in style + functionality? Here are some great trends that are just that.
- Functional Mirror - So long are the days of the plan mirror on the back of the door. Choose a functional floor mirror that doubles as a towel or blanket rack or a jewelry holder.
- Peel 'N Stick Wallpaper - Add a flare to drab walls with a peel and stick wallpaper that can be removed at the end of the year. Our favorite is NuWallpaper, they have great designs that are perfect for any age.
- Minimalist Seating - As you may already know, dorms are not a luxury suite, so smaller seating is best. Try smaller cozy chairs or even poufs or oversized pillows as a decorative, yet functional seating.
- Updated Desk Lamps - Desk lamps don't have to be boring. You can still add the needed lighting with a pop of color, unique design and right size.
- Artificial Plants - Bring life to a dorm room with artificial plants -- they bring the outdoors in and require no maintenance. Choose colorful pots for an extra pop.
- Picture Frames - Adding photos of loved ones to your dorm brings comfort in these first years away.
- Comfy Rugs - Dorms can have hard, cold floors. Pop in a plush polyester rug that is both for comfort and easy to clean. This style can also be budget friendly.
- Shelving - Since space can be limited, utilizing wall space is essential. Use shelving to store books, supplies and decor. Reduce clutter by keeping things stored and off surfaces
This time is very exciting, but it is important to be prepared. Need guidance? Contact us at Beyond The Mill and let us help you create the dorm of your dreams - 703-729-2625 | www.beyondthemilldesign.com
Beyond The Mill Design's cover photo
Beyond The Mill Design's cover photo
https://s.ripl.com/wxc5j3 #mom via ripl.com
This week was a big week for carpet runner installations @ BEYOND THE MILL DESIGN. Sometimes we make the most dramatic impact of a space with simple changes. Love how all of these turned out. #carpetrunners # noshoeson #beyondthemilldesign 😊
Everyday it’s something new @ BEYONDTHEMIILLDESIGN. Today we are having a blast designing a pool-side cabana for a client in Florida. The creative energy is flowing around here!
Pool table arrives tomorrow, Woo-Hoo!! This adult playroom/basement is coming together nicely!! #beyondthemilldesign #projectbasement #lansdownelove
This week's Tuesday Trend is LET'S GO GREEN. Whether you have a green thumb or not, greenery added to a design is on trend. Adding greenery, artificial or real, adds warmth and brings the outdoors in. Watch tv, read a magazine article, skim the internet -- you will find succulents, air plants and so much more. But what to do with these green pieces you ask? These are the top most trend forward ways to use greenery.
- BOXWOOD WREATH - Add a boxwood wreath to a front door to make it pop and add attention to your front porch. The simplicity of a boxwood wreath is perfect for any design, from traditional to modern. You can also add a boxwood wreath to a decorative window, mirror or mantle.
- SUCCULENTS + AIR PLANTS - These two plants are perfect for just about anyone. They are easy to keep alive and require little maintenance - especially if you buy artificial ;) . Air plants are exactly what they sound like, you soak the plant once a week and it survives on the surface or rocks/stones or moss. Succulents and air plants are great in a detailed ceramic pot or industrial concrete piece. Make them a piece of art in your home by choosing your favorite color, pattern or detail.
- VASES + CANDLES - Add greenery to vases and candle holders to take a simple centerpiece to the next level. Add moss to lantern or vase as well if you prefer to not have to maintain greenery.
- POTTED PLANTS - Have a green thumb? Create an eclectic look with multiple potted plants in a space. Choose different plants from cacti, succulents, air plants and more. Add each plant to a different pot. Mix patterns, colors and details for an extra design element.
Adding greenery to your home is a current trend and can't go out of style. Bring the outdoors in with this design element. Need help deciding just how to bring this to life? Contact us for help in adding pieces to your home - Let's Go Green | www.beyondthemilldesign.com
|Tuesday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Wednesday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Thursday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Friday||10:00 - 17:00|