BEYOND THE MILL Designs | Offering Interior Design - Kitchen & Bath Design - Custom Furniture Design - Home Decor
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY - CALL FOR ADDRESS
Welcome to Beyond The Mill Studio Design, formerly Olde Mill Furniture, where for more than 26 years, we have been recognized as the place to go for those seeking quality home furnishings. Now focusing solely on INTERIOR DESIGN and CUSTOM FURNITURE - we now have a 2,000 sq. ft. showroom in Clifton, VA to showcase our endless customization possibilities. Call us for more details!
At Beyond The Mill, you will find an eclectic mix of unique high- end home furnishings and stylish accent pieces all displayed in a relaxed, easy to shop atmosphere. In this world of sameness, of trendy and disposable, you will experience a different kind of place all together when you work with us at Beyond The Mill.
Call us to schedule an appointment and Customize the Home of Your Dreams! You won’t be disappointed!
** Please note, we are often out of the studio on design appointments. Leave us a message or send us an email and we will get back to you as soon as possible. **
The planning stage is one of the most unique parts of the experience when renovating and re-designing spaces in your home. Not only can we as designers use our creative talents, but it visually brings a homeowners dream to life for the first time. Always a favorite for me!! 🙂
This week's Tuesday Trend is 'Fabulous Fabrics'. Fabric is seen all over a home. From pillows to window treatments, sofas and chairs, different types of fabric are used for different places. With such a rise in demand, many fabrics are being designed, improved and enhanced for interior design needs. Designers are spending more time creating both beautiful & functional fabrics. Below are some of the top fabrics right now and some differences to keep in mind.
- Patterns vs. Prints - A patterned or printed fabric has character, is a piece of art and can tell a story. Bold fabrics can anchor a space and bright fabrics can make a piece pop. As interior designers we love patterns and prints and fabric companies all over are creating thousands of options. It is important to know though that there is a difference when referencing a 'patterned' or a 'printed' fabric. A patterned fabric is one that is woven into the fabric or embroidered. The pattern can be anything from a floral to a geometric repetition. A print then is not woven into the fabric, but instead printed onto the fabric using various printing methods. So to help, think of patterns as sewing-like process and printing like printing something from your printer at home. These words are often used interchangeably, but it is important to know the difference.
- Crypton & Revolution Fabrics - These fabrics are a designers & clients' dream. And with more and more up and coming colors and patterns, these are very sought after. These fabrics are durable, high usage fabrics that are great with kids, pets and everyday use. They are easy to clean and can give the client peace of mind when bringing them into the home. With these fabrics, gone are the days of covering the dining chairs or only letting people in the formal living room on special occasions. We love these fabrics and their quality.
- Velvets - Some people get quite intimidated when thinking of velvets or velvet-like fabrics. Some people think of the 70's or even up scale design, but Velvets are back and we believe are here to stay. With so many blends and types, the soft velvet fabrics can be used in numerous places around your home. Some new synthetic blends are even making it possible for velvets to easily clean and withstand high usage. Velvets can be soft, elegant fabrics that take a space to the next level.
There are thousands, even millions of fabrics out there and it is important to know which type(s) are best for your home, space and lifestyle. Contact us today to refresh, renew and add to your home with our knowledge and fabric resources - 703-729-2625 - www.beyondthemilldesign.com
Photo Credit & Information - www.greenhousefabrics.com Greenhouse Fabrics
Don’t forget, tonight is daylight savings ... Spring forward!!
Beyond The Mill Designs made by hand #canaldoverfurniture #custommade
Florida living ... doesn’t get better than this!! ☀️
Another beautiful day in Designer Paradise (longboat Key). Keeping the BTM Design dream alive. 😉
's cover photo
's cover photo
This week's Tuesday Trend is VINTAGE VICTORIES. In this post we will honor those vintage staples in interior design that are making a huge comeback in the design world. Two definitions of 'vintage' are as follows, "the time that something of quality was produced" & "denoting something of high quality, especially something from the past or characteristic of the best period of a person's work". Vintage is a period of time that we can take ideas from, whether is be the 1700's or the late 1920's. Although, it is important to not only focus on how old something can be when it is 'vintage', but also the quality and detail that is behind each piece. The details are what help bring these trends back to life and create nostalgia for those who desire it. Listed below are just a few of the vintage victories making their way back into the homes, offices, hotels and much more!
- Vintage Wallpaper - Wallpaper alone is a huge design trend right now, but vintage designs are greatly desired. Bringing back the feeling of grandma's house with a slight twist is becoming quite popular. These patterns elicit memories, while still creating such a beautiful space. Some popular patterns include damask, vintage florals, brassiere, and botanicals.
- Clawfoot Bathtubs - Who doesn't love a clawfoot bathtub? These stand alone beauties are making a comeback in bathrooms all over. These pieces are a statement in a bathroom, dress them up with gold or silver legs and hardware or admire simplicity with solid white ceramic & glass all over. These romantic bathtubs don't have to go with an ornate style all the time, they can easily be mixed with transmittal and rustic styles as well.
- Vintage Style Tile - If you are going to add that gorgeous clawfoot tub in your space, why not have a unique vintage style tile as well? From subway tile originating in 1904 to hexagonal & honeycomb from the 1940's, these beauties are making their way into all different styles of bathrooms. You will find these tiles in stark whites, mixed pattern colors and eclectic prints.
- Inspired Chairs - Beautiful curves, attention to detail and statements are all ways to describe a good vintage chair. Updates to vintage designed chairs are becoming quite the trend in homes all over. What we once deemed as old and dated is now circled around our dining room table and placed in our living rooms. Whether painted, stained, upholstered or solid wood, these detailed designs are gaining greater popularity.
When mixing these styles into your home it is important to do it right! Certain vintage elements can be great statements, but it is important for them to blend and not overhaul the space. Contact us today for your design needs | 703-729-2625
The world needs you to be the person you are meant to be ... so true and how cute is little crew!!
This week's Tuesday trend is the '80's Comeback'! The 80's retro design is inundated with pastels, velvets, vinyl and mod curves. 80's design is an expressive style with bold, luxurious elements and style. 80's designs can be seen mixed into other design styles - adding pieces of art to a space.
Below are some of our favorite elements of this 80's design return.
- Bring on the Pastels - You will find lighter pastels on painted furniture, fabrics, vinyls and more. This colors are used in patterns & prints on all pieces. Modern designs are added to side boards, tables, rugs and everything in between. No more are pastels thought of as juvenile, these colors can make a BOLD statement.
- Vinyls & Leather - Honestly, these two never truly went anywhere, but you will find these materials on more pieces nowadays. Vinyls are being produced more durable & are more cost effective. These materials can be found on chairs, stools & ottomans. When mixed with modern metals they are sure to bring the 80's back.
- Va...Va...Velvets - We once might have thought of velvets as a thing of the past, but they are a trend that is here to stay. Velvets are now being produced as more durable and practical for more homes. The texture exudes luxury and when mixed with the right patterned or printed throw pillows, a velvet sofa is a perfect statement piece for any room.
- Let's See More Curves - You will see larger more modern case pieces with curves & softer edges. Let's think Miami Mod. You'll fall in love with the artistic design and beauty in each piece due to the details. Mixed lighter and darker woods add dimension.
Modern trends can be intimidating and it can be hard to incorporate these styles into your home without a full design scope. It is important to marry these products together so they make a statement, but don't overtake a space. Contact us to help 'Bring the 80's back' into your home.
This week's Tuesday Trend is ARTISAN MADE PRODUCTS. Paying special attention to detail and handmade products is particularly prominent in the interior design world - as it should be! There are so many artisan productions, but there are a few that are easily highlighted due to their craftsmanship & detail.
- Hand Woven - A desired trend right now are hand woven chairs, ottomans & stools. Whether its rattan, bamboo or leather, these pieces are unique in their design and make a statement. It is reassuring to see how a hand made design can withstand daily usage.
- Hand Made Rugs - The art of hand made rugs is an ongoing trend that has stood the test of time. Hand woven rugs, like those of Jaipur Rugs (as pictured) are works of art - the story behind each piece is what makes the rugs unique. Jaipur Rugs employs many women artisans in India, where they recognize their talent & craftsmanship. They also provide education for many through their Alternative Education Program. So remember when purchasing a handmade rug, that you are not only getting a piece of art, you are purchasing a piece that was once in the hands of a true artist.
- Hand Embroidery - From pillows to high quality fabrics, hand embroidery is the epitome of art. When holding a piece of hand embroidered fabric in hand, it is hard not to admire each thread, each color intertwined together to create a pattern or image. Hand embroidery has become a prominent art with companies like Ambella, who seek out top of the line fabrics for their furniture & accessories. These fabrics take each piece of furniture to the next level.
- Hand Forged Lighting - Another favorite of ours is hand forged lighting. Like those pieces of Hubbardton Forge, each piece is molded and made into unique pieces. Made from iron and tough metals, these pieces are sturdy and authentically made. You will find these types of lighting in more & more homes due to the true beauty and statements that they make. Like the rugs, it is important to remember that not only are you paying for a light fixture, you are paying for the craftsmanship, you are paying for the story - which is priceless.
Our company's mission is to highlight true artisan craftsmanship. So this Tuesday Trend is who we are and what we believe it. We believe in absolutely quality over quantity and the appreciation of hand made products. So the next time you make a purchase for your home, as yourself, "Where did this come from? What is it's story?" Don't know where to begin when finding true artisan products? We are here to help. Contact us today - 703-729-2625.
Inspirational Florida Renovations - everywhere you look it’s blue and beautiful! ☀️
‘TIS THE SEASON 🎄
Creating new spaces during the Holiday is not always easy, but we are working our way through this Beautiful Family Room in spite of it!!
It's getting cold outside and we are all looking for warmth this winter! Why not create a fabulously designed space for warmth? A home's fireplace can be the gathering spot for most families and loved ones. This week's Tuesday Trend is 'Fashioned Fireplaces' - no more are those builder grade fireplaces, giving your fireplace a facelift is on trend. Although, there are different ways to create a new look for your space and it is key to know the right design for your home & style. Here are a few of our favorites.
- The Traditional/Transitional Mantel - This design can be seen in the first photo & has maintained a great trend. A fireplace encased in wood moldings, painted a traditional white. Though simple, this style can be a focal point of the space with its crisp nature. Add a beautiful painting or mirror & simple decor to maintain its true beauty. This style mantels is also nice with a simple stone or marble trim to add an extra pop.
- A Rustic Stone Fireplace & Mantel - This is the current favorite and can be seen created in many different ways. Choose from different stone options - from a stacked stone look to fieldstone, even add veneer stones or shiplap. Thick wood slabs as mantels make great accents for stone fireplaces. Create a floating look without corbels - or add corbels for a more ornate look. You can also stone from floor to ceiling, or if you have taller ceilings, you can stop the stone halfway up the ceiling to create a more artistic look.
- Details, Details, Details - The fun think about a fireplace is the opportunity to add or take away details. For example, add dental molding for extra details or moldings to encase a space. You can also add marble or stone to frame your fireplace depending on how ornate your style is. Add a stone ledge or leave it simple without. Extend your marble accents into the flooring. The options are endless.
- Outdoor Fireplaces - Though it might be cold, outdoor fireplaces are on trend. Outdoor fireplaces are a great focal point for entertaining or gathering around a cozy spot on a cold night. Creating a look with beautiful stone and keep the traditional wood burning option or add gas for simple ignition.
Need help choosing the right design for your home & space? We have lots of experience in transforming fireplaces & spaces. Contact us today - 703-729-2625 or [email protected]
Looking back at some of our Beach / Cottage vacation homes we’ve had the pleasure of working on. Ready to start another in Longboat Key— feeling inspired!
Colorful, Creative & Useful — what’s better than that in kitchen design!!
This week's Tuesday Trend is SPACE SAVING SPECTACLES. In interior design, details are key, but it's not only the visual details that are important. Functionality can often take precedence. In this post we are going to highlight our Tor 4 favorite space saving design ideas.
- Secretary Desks - As shown in the photo, secretary desks can function as both drawer storage and open up as a desk. When closed the piece can look just like a simple dresser. These pieces are great for rooms or spaces that can't hold large amounts of furniture! We can customize pieces like these from size, color and finish.
- Hidden Kitchen Drawers - Like in the photo, a great addition to any kitchen renovation, are hidden drawers, cabinets and tools. One of our favorite trends right now are hidden cutting boards built into a standard looking drawers. Eliminate clutter and gain counter space with an addition like this!
- Murphy Beds - These are a 'forever' trend! Murphy beds are pieces that are created against a wall and mounted in a way so that the bed itself will open and close giving the illusion of a wall unit when closed. These pieces are both visually appealing and extremely functional when saving space -- perfect for guest rooms, basements and smaller apartments. We love to customize Murphy Beds for our clients homes and have created many in different sizes, colors & finishes.
- Trundle Beds - Trundle beds are defined as "a lower bed on wheels that can be stored under a larger bed". These additions to a bed are great for younger clients -- great for sleepovers and siblings! But, they are not limited to this age group, put these trundle beds in guest rooms and vacation homes as well. Some of our favorite trundle beds include the Wesley Allen Iron Beds, like in the photo collage.
Do any of these space saving trends appeal to your needs?? Contact us today to ask about our customization for your space -- 703-729-2625 | www.beyondthemilldesign.com
RUG DILEMMA ... When choosing products for your home, do you compromise in the right areas, for the right reason to save money? What would YOU do?
One manufacturer - of beautiful tables - can make quite an impact on a homes overall design. Look at some of our most recent dining spaces. We can help you transform your Dining Room into a functional yet fabulous space in your home! Call or email us today @ 703-729-2625 [email protected]
Very rarely do we have the opportunity to live & love what we do. Life has many blessings, it’s important to take time to appreciate all of them!
Just like any other field or occupation, in Interior Design it is important to stay educated, up to date and on trend. Though there are some classics that will remain true, there are always newly emerging ideas and designs. One of the largest furniture markets in Highpoint, North Carolina is the mecca of furniture expertise, design and products. In both the Fall & Spring, furniture retailers, designers, creators and much more gather together for this week long market, where the forces of ideas and products combine. We love attending these markets to update our design knowledge and better serve our clients, all while building our design network and building lasting relationships with furniture designers and companies. After a market we like to reflect on what we gained from the experience. For this Tuesday Trend, we would like to share with you some of the trends of the 2018 Fall Highpoint Market.
MIXED MATERIALS - A great trend this market was mixed materials. From mixing wood elements with metal to glass with resin, mixing these materials is creating timeless designs all over. One of the greatest outcomes of these mixtures is the ability to use these pieces for multiple design styles. By mixing materials you can add multiple design elements to a space, which is very on trend.
WONDROUS WHITE - The color ‘white’ made quite the appearance. Whether on a chair, case piece of table, with color white was seen all around. One might think white can be such a plain color, but when mixed with different textures, these pieces become unique and statements.
PERFORMANCE FABRICS - Once just seen as ‘industrial’, performance fabrics made an appearance in more than just a few places. Many furniture companies and brands are adding performance fabric lines to their fabric choices due to their durability & longevity. No longer are the days of boring performance fabrics - there are now beautiful colors, elaborate patterns & prints and different materials like vinyls. These performance fabrics are great on sofas, chairs, bedding and so much more. As designers, we love the emergence of on trend performance fabric options - and we love the ability to offer quality to our clients.
RICH CAMEL & CARAMEL LEATHERS - Seen over and over were rich brown leather pieces - including chairs and sofas. Becoming such a widespread trend for any space, these strong & bold pieces were often thought of as masculine. These pieces are now used with all different designs and are a great trend of the 2018 Fall Market.
MINIMALISTIC STYLES - Sometimes simple can be best. Minimalistic design was a trend found all over the market. Clean lines, simple designs and a focus on each piece rather than over embellishing. Though mostly seen from a modern design standpoint, there are still many minimalist designs that are transitional & traditional.
These trends found are not the only influential finds, but these are some of our favorites. We enjoy remaining educated and creating designs that are timeless, yet still on trend. Can't wait for the next Market!
PHOTO CREDIT - Revolution Fabrics, Currey & Co., Century Furniture, Alden Parkes, Bernhardt Furniture.
|Tuesday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Wednesday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Thursday||10:00 - 17:00|
|Friday||10:00 - 17:00|
Office Moving, Office Furniture Installation, Cubicle installation, Cubicle re configuring, Office Design, Space Planning, Furniture moving for carpet installation, furniture moving for renovation, Interior renovations,Office Furniture Sales and rentals
Painted furniture and custom furniture designs